The following steps are taken to ensure that both parties are fully aware of the agreement they are entering into. These steps will be discussed in the initial consultation:
- In Australia the minimum legal age for consent to marry is 18 years. Please speak to your celebrant if one of the parties is under 18 years old.
- A ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ must be completed and lodged with your celebrant at least one month prior to the wedding date. This notice has a life span of 18 months.
- If born in Australia, a birth certificate must be shown. If born overseas a current passport can be provided, if no birth certificate can be shown. Evidence of the date and place of birth of both persons must be sighted by your celebrant.
- Each marriage must be witnessed by two persons aged 18 years or over.
- If either of you have previously been married you will have to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers and/or if either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate.
Julie is able to provide the appropriate forms, and offers guidance and advice in completion of all required paperwork.